Once in a whaile a Quake-enthused mapper will come up with a hair-brained idea of making an episode. This is what happened when I decided to start creating what eventually became starkmon.bsp. I just started piecing together brushes with those 128×128 idbase textures, thinking about how awesome it would look when loaded into Darkplaces.
Stark Monstrosity was built with the idea in mind that I was going to try and get the player lost in a maze that was some massive id-base themed map. I built a layout based around a set of hubs, which would interconnect massively. This map will work in any engine I know of, it doesn’t break the limits of the original quake.exe, although I believe you would have to allocate a large chunk of RAM via a command line.
This is just my idea of dumping the player into a situation where they would have to forge there way through a large base, full of hostile enemies, with lots of machine-gunning and running around. Exploration is the key here – you will have to follow a sequence of keys and triggers in a somewhat non-linear layout.